My mom used to get a loaf of banana bread from Giant, a local grocery store in KL whenever we do grocery shopping at Ampang Point. I have never thought of making my own banana bread, not realizing how feasible it is to make a loaf of banana bread 😉 I was first introduced to making banana bread from scratch when I was at my sis’s place. A homemade banana bread is much much tastier than store-bought. In addition, you can add additional ingredients to add additional flavor such as nuts, choc chips, coconut flakes or even instant coffee!
The one I made above is half plain and half sunflower seeds banana bread. I had tried few banana bread recipes and after customizing some recipes a little bit, here’s the recipe that I have been using. It produces a moist, dense texture with sweetness from the banana and the brown sugar(only 2 tbsp if you use them).
- 5.3 tbsp (75g) unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp brown sugar (optional)
- 3-4 ripe banana
- 2 large eggs
- ⅕ tsp vanilla extract
- 1.5 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- a pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Melt butter in a small bowl in microwave and cool it.
- Add 2 tbsp brown sugar.
- Mix mashed banana, whisked eggs and vanilla extract in a medium bowl with a spatula.
- Sift in flour, baking soda, baking powder and pinch of salt into the bowl.
- Fold all ingredients using spatula until combined (don't overfold).
- Pour the batter into a greased and floured loaf pan (or you can use parchment paper).
- Bake at 350 F for 50mins.